SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 16 July 2019, 15:03
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Subaru...you're coming around. Have you touched yourself today?
Only when he thinks about you.
Old 16 July 2019, 15:08
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RiserSlip View Post
Only when he thinks about you.
Well damn...I thought ole schibbs was a 'he' instead of a 'she' all this time. The new Subaru explains a lot.
Old 16 July 2019, 16:26
been ***** **** that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo Kane View Post
Subaru...you're coming around. Have you touched yourself today?
No , I have cramps!
Old 16 July 2019, 16:53
Confirmed User

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by schibbs View Post
I really hate and am embarrassed I do not have the funds or the resources to help out every panhandling vet I see. We have every news channel and social media source pandering for aid for "illegals" and can't get these guys and gals into decent surrounds. I passed up another one today, a guy older than me , clean shaven, squared away looking backpack and a dog. " homeless vet on the road,with a dog, could use a couple days work"

I have mixed emotions about traveling the country with a dog, unless maybe a chick magnet teacup dog!
Since I've been a member and have sort of learned the ins and outs of what's legit and what raises red flags...every time I've asked specifics except for one particular guy (out of approximately 20), they shut up very quickly.

That nonsense is an epidemic.
Old 16 July 2019, 17:19
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
We have feral nutria here. Nastly little boogers....
Sounds like another SOCNET hunting trip to me
Old 16 July 2019, 17:21
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdrver View Post
Sounds like another SOCNET hunting trip to me
You never know. Not too long ago, they were a major problem - much like coyotes elsewhere - near the New Orleans area. The city council and parish governments were actually paying to have them shot due to their being so many.
Old 16 July 2019, 19:42
Never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicDamien View Post
Since I've been a member and have sort of learned the ins and outs of what's legit and what raises red flags...every time I've asked specifics except for one particular guy (out of approximately 20), they shut up very quickly.

That nonsense is an epidemic.
It's a tight group just give it time
Old 16 July 2019, 21:43
Swimming Upstream

Quote:
I really hate and am embarrassed I do not have the funds or the resources to help out every panhandling vet I see. We have every news channel and social media source pandering for aid for "illegals" and can't get these guys and gals into decent surrounds. I passed up another one today, a guy older than me , clean shaven, squared away looking backpack and a dog. " homeless vet on the road,with a dog, could use a couple days work"

I have mixed emotions about traveling the country with a dog, unless maybe a chick magnet teacup dog!
I've never seen a Mexican panhandling, they're too busy working. I have no sympathy for people claiming to be vets pan handling. Of all the folks out on the street, they should have the wherewithal to work and/or seek help. Our church tries to help the homeless folks..most of them want the $ and clothes, but don't want to live with rules.
- Faith involves believing in the veracity of the unprovable and unobservable, whether that consists of religion or theoretical physics, which at the very subatomic level start looking rather similar. -ET1/SS Nuke

- I'm not typing this looking for sympathy, I want you guys to listen to your body and if you see or feel something out of the ordinary going on, get it looked at by a competent Doctor. -OldCrustyBastard
Old 16 July 2019, 21:58
been ***** **** that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
I've never seen a Mexican panhandling, they're too busy working. I have no sympathy for people claiming to be vets pan handling. Of all the folks out on the street, they should have the wherewithal to work and/or seek help. Our church tries to help the homeless folks..most of them want the $ and clothes, but don't want to live with rules.
I hear ya , Purple. It has been many years for me , but I lived on the streets off and on , hitchhiking and hopping trains. I did it for the experience, it was cool, it was brutal , it was an education. The breed of folks today panhandling is different, none of em want to do squat for a wage, even though there are more jobs out there now than you can shake a stick at. The dude I passed today was different and an exception. I felt terrible, he looked like my Grandpa did at that age. He was wearing clean clothes, and his gear was squared away. This dude was hurting ,but he wasn't begging, at least not when I drove by. He had a freaking ugly , fat dog though!
I would still like to build a big old homeless compound for Vets , the first building is mine and I'm building it out of concrete!
Old 16 July 2019, 22:29
The atomic zit

Quote:
We have feral nutria here. Nastly little boogers....
Is there another kind?

We have nutria, they never bother me and I don’t shoot them. In NC nutria are open season as long as another gun season is open.
Old 16 July 2019, 22:35
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Is there another kind?
Nope. I was just using them in reference to their running amok and destroying things.
Old 17 July 2019, 00:07
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Nope. I was just using them in reference to their running amok and destroying things.
Do they wear skinny black jeans with masks?

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 17 July 2019, 08:16
Renuo Victima Esse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET1/ss nuke View Post
Do they wear skinny black jeans with masks?
Indeed they do. A nuisance is a nuisance....
Old 17 July 2019, 08:43
Going cyclic!!

Quote:
yep to all. I saw a guy on the corner the other day, he was literally 40' from a Help Wanted sign. When I pointed that out to him, he turned and walked away
Old 17 July 2019, 10:26
Never to old to learn

Thumbs up

Years ago in Sacramento, a individual was looking for work holding a sign,

The thing is he wore a Suit & Tie, Had several offers that day.

prior to that he just held a sign need a job to feed my family.

The way you look an dress sometimes helps.
Old 17 July 2019, 10:28
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman43 View Post
Years ago in Sacramento, a individual was looking for work holding a sign,

The thing is he wore a Suit & Tie, Had several offers that day.

prior to that he just held a sign need a job to feed my family.

The way you look an dress sometimes helps.
Yup...it's working out really good for the better dressed panhandlers in San Francisco.
Old 17 July 2019, 10:39
Freelancer

Quote:
I've never seen a Mexican panhandling
They don't have to they leech off taxpayers.

I hate babysitting drunks. Boss at it again
Old 17 July 2019, 12:11
Calix Meus Inebrians

Quote:
I really hate and am embarrassed I do not have the funds or the resources to help out every panhandling vet I see.
Small things can add up, and if someone is truly in dire straights, anything would be appreciated. I made the decision long ago to never give money to a panhandler, but I try to keep a few extra bottles of water or some cliff bars in the truck to hand out if I see someone aside from the panhandlers I can recognize on sight. I also don't need much excuse to part with leftovers on my way home from a restaurant. I had one homeless guy who was truly grateful when I gave him a slice of pizza and some wings I was taking home...didn't doubt for a second he was spending the night in the corner of a parking garage or somewhere else as rough, rather than being a panhandler for profit.

But I also agree that there are more posers out there than legit vets. That said, I don't have an issue giving a fellow human being of any ilk a bottle of water on a 90 degree day if I'm in a position to do so.
Old 17 July 2019, 12:57
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by btq96r View Post
Small things can add up, and if someone is truly in dire straights, anything would be appreciated. I made the decision long ago to never give money to a panhandler, but I try to keep a few extra bottles of water or some cliff bars in the truck to hand out if I see someone aside from the panhandlers I can recognize on sight. I also don't need much excuse to part with leftovers on my way home from a restaurant. I had one homeless guy who was truly grateful when I gave him a slice of pizza and some wings I was taking home...didn't doubt for a second he was spending the night in the corner of a parking garage or somewhere else as rough, rather than being a panhandler for profit.

But I also agree that there are more posers out there than legit vets. That said, I don't have an issue giving a fellow human being of any ilk a bottle of water on a 90 degree day if I'm in a position to do so.
I donít buy the whole homeless vet thing. Many posers. Many that were not honorably discharged and there by their own actions. If a Homeless Vet is truly a Vet in need, many legit programs to help. And if he is claiming homelessness due to
Veteran related disabilities or ptsd - well then he can get enough disability rating that would at least cover oneís rent and food.
Old 17 July 2019, 13:54
Never to old to learn

I all ways ask them if they are registered with the V.A. an have a V.A. I.D. card an can I see it. it's about 60 =40% I lost it, or I didn't know I could registers with the V.A. the others ask where is the V.A. located at around here. The ones that show me their V.A. ID I will help sometime. I will also tell them I will buy you a meal. OH Just give me the money for it. Fuck NO, I will,
NO $$$ Just a good meal take it or for get it.

Our new posting rules