SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14 August 2019, 18:54
usmc_3m's Avatar
usmc_3m usmc_3m is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: PR of Kali
Posts: 1,364
Multiple Officers shot in Philadelphia

Conflicting reports on number of and severity of injuries. Still considered an active incident. Initial reports say it was the result of serving a drug warrant in north Philly area.

Prayers for a quick resolution and no major injuries to the officers.
__________________
"He who does not punish evil commands that it be done." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14 August 2019, 19:13
wildman43's Avatar
wildman43 wildman43 is online now
Never to old to learn
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,759
5 LEO's taken to hospital for gun shot's injury's One different LEO was injured in car accident on the way to the active incident.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 14 August 2019, 22:34
WGH0922 WGH0922 is online now
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,278
Peaceful residents of Philly welcoming the police to keep their neighborhood safe.
https://twitter.com/Breaking911/stat...5-DoE3sVSIIQjY
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14 August 2019, 23:17
edd1e22 edd1e22 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose CA
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
Peaceful residents of Philly welcoming the police to keep their neighborhood safe.
Philly seriously needs some depolicing. Let them sort it out themselves
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15 August 2019, 09:24
Fu King Lawyer Fu King Lawyer is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ...
Posts: 1,552
The story served its purpose for a day and it won't be on the front pages for very long. Watching this morning, TV reported the subject is in custody, is a convicted felon with prior firearms charges. Nothing "racist" to allege against the police. Press will quickly move on to their next chance at gun control.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15 August 2019, 11:33
grog18b's Avatar
grog18b grog18b is offline
Clorox bearer for SOTB
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Finally back to my 203 range
Posts: 4,010
https://mashable.com/2016/01/10/1985-move-bombing

The last time PSP had to handle a problem in Philly... 3 blocks destroyed later...

Que the Ride of the Valkyries...
__________________
"....As far as "rights" are concerned... I look at them this way. I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own." GROG

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 17 August 2019, 07:25
DvlDoc8404 DvlDoc8404 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 109
Stand by for a fight between the DA and the USAO. There have been some strong words in the wake of the incident.

And yes, those of us who remember Osage Avenue were wondering how this was gonna end lol. But dude came out without anymore cops getting hurt, so that’s the most important result.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 17 August 2019, 10:24
Macka's Avatar
Macka Macka is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: SOCNET-Northeast
Posts: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlDoc8404 View Post
Stand by for a fight between the DA and the USAO. There have been some strong words in the wake of the incident.

And yes, those of us who remember Osage Avenue were wondering how this was gonna end lol. But dude came out without anymore cops getting hurt, so that’s the most important result.
The Philly DA reportedly has been putting people charged with gun offenses on diversion programs. Why have gun laws?
__________________
Freedom costs a Buck 0-5
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 17 August 2019, 10:52
grog18b's Avatar
grog18b grog18b is offline
Clorox bearer for SOTB
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Finally back to my 203 range
Posts: 4,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
The Philly DA reportedly has been putting people charged with gun offenses on diversion programs. Why have gun laws?
Because then they can point to all those gun laws and say "see those gun laws are too weak, we need tougher gun laws because these don't work..."

The thing is, all these shitbags who are out on the street doing this crap with guns are not normal gun owners, they are career criminals. The responsibility for all these crimes rests squarely on the shoulders of DA's like this, and Judges who release these shits back into society knowing full well that the carnage will continue because there is no such thing as rehabilitation for a career criminal.

The solution is simple. Career felon? More than three violent felonies? You are taken out back of the prison, and run through a wood chipper. No more career criminal. No more over crowded prisons, no more taxpayer dollars spent on a wasted POS. No more clogged court system. ...and a hell of a lot less career shitbags running around free, plus the incentive for said shitbags to cease their career shitbaggery.

I find it amazing that we live in a society that values the lives of these shitheads more than that of an unborn child.
__________________
"....As far as "rights" are concerned... I look at them this way. I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own." GROG

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 17 August 2019, 10:58
Gray Rhyno's Avatar
Gray Rhyno Gray Rhyno is offline
Authorized Personnel
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoVa
Posts: 10,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
The solution is simple. Career felon? More than three violent felonies? You are taken out back of the prison, and run through a wood chipper. No more career criminal. No more over crowded prisons, no more taxpayer dollars spent on a wasted POS. No more clogged court system. ...and a hell of a lot less career shitbags running around free, plus the incentive for said shitbags to cease their career shitbaggery.
I get very frustrated by liberals who claim "it's more expensive to execute a criminal than it is to incarcerate them for life" and use that as a reason to be anti-death penalty. Because the death penalty does reduce crime. Maybe just by one asshole, but now that asshole is incapable of ever commiting another crime.

Anyway, the only reason the death penalty is more expensive than life in prison is because the liberals have made the appeals process so laborious and the lawyers charge the public treasury so much money to defend these shitheads. If we had a straight-forward, simple to understand, and lawyer-free procedure to execute lifelong felons, the death penalty would be significantly cheaper.
__________________
"The most HSLD stuff ever taught was the basics. So-called 'advanced training' is often no more than the very fluid and expert application of those basic skills." - SOTB
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 18 August 2019, 08:37
leopardprey's Avatar
leopardprey leopardprey is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 14,272
In a perfect world........

Our tolerance has gone too far.
__________________
"Look Sharp, Act Sharp, Be Sharp - But don't cut yourself!"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 18 August 2019, 08:42
GPC's Avatar
GPC GPC is offline
Freelancer
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: LFOD
Posts: 6,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
In a perfect world........

Our tolerance has gone too far.
Just think in a few more years we'll have No Go zones like Europe.
__________________
Steel Rain Brings The Pain!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 18 August 2019, 08:58
Polypro's Avatar
Polypro Polypro is offline
BTDT
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A Noisy Bar In Avalon
Posts: 14,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by grog18b View Post
Because then they can point to all those gun laws and say "see those gun laws are too weak, we need tougher gun laws because these don't work..."

The thing is, all these shitbags who are out on the street doing this crap with guns are not normal gun owners, they are career criminals.
Yup. When you take suicides and any gang related shootings out of the equation - the murders from firearms plummets.

When you finally decide you are going to commit suicide, you will do it no matter what - go look at the UK - they prefer hanging themselves. Suicide has got to be the biggest bogus anti-gun tactic on the planet.

From the remaining murders - various studies put "scumbag" initiated murder at 50-80% of the rest.

"Crazy middle class white guy that snaps" murder is so friggen low - but gets all the headlines from the people that want to impose their MORAL beliefs on the LEGAL system.
__________________
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
On February 20, 2018, President Trump issued a memorandum instructing the Attorney General “to dedicate all available resources to… propose for notice and comment a rule banning all devices that turn legal weapons into machineguns.”

“I like taking the guns early, like in this crazy man’s case that just took place in Florida ... to go to court would have taken a long time”

“Take the guns first, go through due process second”

"Or, Mike, take the firearms first, and then go to court"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 18 August 2019, 09:34
redhawk redhawk is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 2,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macka View Post
The Philly DA reportedly has been putting people charged with gun offenses on diversion programs.
Not sure why this would be a problem. Diversion allows the system to separate the insane and drug dealers from the people who just fucked up. Pennsylvania’s gun laws are incoherent and lots of normal, “law abiding” people get put through the ringer for simply not knowing the technical (bullshit) aspects of 6106. And, for the 18-20 year olds with no record who get caught with a Glock... well, a lot of them are protecting themselves from actually dangerous people. I’d rather not see those adult citizens labeled felons and stripped of their 2nd Amd. rights for simply wanting to exercise their 2nd Amd. right.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 18 August 2019, 11:49
grog18b's Avatar
grog18b grog18b is offline
Clorox bearer for SOTB
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Finally back to my 203 range
Posts: 4,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Pennsylvania’s gun laws are incoherent and lots of normal, “law abiding” people get put through the ringer for simply not knowing the technical (bullshit) aspects of 6106. And, for the 18-20 year olds with no record who get caught with a Glock... well, a lot of them are protecting themselves from actually dangerous people. I’d rather not see those adult citizens labeled felons and stripped of their 2nd Amd. rights for simply wanting to exercise their 2nd Amd. right.
Your post is incorrect. I'm not sure where you get your information from, but most people I know personally because I arrested them, and charged with violations of PA gun laws I also charged with the original crimes, which are plead down to gun law violations because of plea deals reached to try to do exactly what you want in your post, which is to not ruin someone's life with first offense armed robbery or aggravated assault charge, and plead to a lesser non violent offense. None of them were "normal law abiding people".

For the record, I never agreed to any of those "deals", and thought they were, as you put it, bullshit.
__________________
"....As far as "rights" are concerned... I look at them this way. I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own." GROG

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 18 August 2019, 16:26
Macka's Avatar
Macka Macka is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: SOCNET-Northeast
Posts: 2,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Not sure why this would be a problem. Diversion allows the system to separate the insane and drug dealers from the people who just fucked up. Pennsylvania’s gun laws are incoherent and lots of normal, “law abiding” people get put through the ringer for simply not knowing the technical (bullshit) aspects of 6106. And, for the 18-20 year olds with no record who get caught with a Glock... well, a lot of them are protecting themselves from actually dangerous people. I’d rather not see those adult citizens labeled felons and stripped of their 2nd Amd. rights for simply wanting to exercise their 2nd Amd. right.
I have a little difficulty when politicians talk about enacting more laws when they don't enforce the one's we have.

How many people in Philly are wrapped up in the examples you used? It is my experience that everyone has a reason for what they were doing when arrested.

Maybe the people in Philly should listen to this guy.....
__________________
Freedom costs a Buck 0-5
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 18 August 2019, 22:58
edd1e22 edd1e22 is offline
Confirmed User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Jose CA
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Rhyno View Post
I get very frustrated by liberals who claim "it's more expensive to execute a criminal than it is to incarcerate them for life" and use that as a reason to be anti-death penalty. Because the death penalty does reduce crime. Maybe just by one asshole, but now that asshole is incapable of ever commiting another crime.

Anyway, the only reason the death penalty is more expensive than life in prison is because the liberals have made the appeals process so laborious and the lawyers charge the public treasury so much money to defend these shitheads. If we had a straight-forward, simple to understand, and lawyer-free procedure to execute lifelong felons, the death penalty would be significantly cheaper.
Our justice system is far from perfect and I can think of many individuals who've been convicted of capital crimes who were later exonerated.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 19 August 2019, 00:50
Dino0311 Dino0311 is offline
Custom User Title
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northeast
Posts: 13,007
I'm against the death penalty. I have personally seen bad eyewitness identifications and have arrested somebody for a rape that I was never sure he actually committed. People lie, people are wrong, people are dumb.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 19 August 2019, 09:39
Fu King Lawyer Fu King Lawyer is offline
Been There Done That
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ...
Posts: 1,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e22 View Post
Our justice system is far from perfect and I can think of many individuals who've been convicted of capital crimes who were later exonerated.
I've been involved in the (multiple) appeals for many defendants sentenced in capital cases, and more than a dozen of my cases have gone thru to execution of sentence. This is only anecdotal, but not a one of my cases went to the chamber with the condemned claiming innocence. In fact, most all were very candid that last few hours when the chance of a stay, clemency, or further appeal evaporated. However, once the curtain went up, they weren't as forthcoming with the witnesses/victim's families as they were with us (and DoC staff) before the actual execution protocols commenced. I'm sure innocents have been condemned, but as time went by there are a whole bunch of organizations, beyond public defenders, trying to block every death sentence, if for no other reason than they are opposed to it. They use techniques to include independent DNA testing and explore every possible angle. Public defenders offices have a core of professionals with added expertise who represent the death-penalty indigent, with others such as Project Innocence and major law firms doing pro bono work, that every angle is explored. One innocent being executed is one to many. However, I would venture that it is much more likely that a guilty person "walks" on the charge, as opposed to the opposite.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 19 August 2019, 15:15
wildman43's Avatar
wildman43 wildman43 is online now
Never to old to learn
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,759
Watching the news awhile back DNA testing provide someone who had been in jail for about 20 years innocent.

Question FKL, could this individual get money for the time spent in prison, from the state or Feds?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Our new posting rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 17:54.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Socnet.com All Rights Reserved
© SOCNET 1996-2018