SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 20 September 2019, 10:37
exquisitus asinus

762x39 AR

Searched.. but couldnt find what I was looking for.. hoping someone has some info..

Im giving serious thought to building an AR in 762x39... I was considering going 300 BLK.. but.. I used a loaner in 762x39 on a hog hunt recently and was actually really impressed with how well it handled and performed..

My understanding is the vast majority of the time when the x39 varients have problems, that its the magazine.. is this correct? If so, what mags are known to be good vs which ones are known to be bad?

Any other common problems/issues?

This would pretty much be a dedicated pig popper.. Shots from 30-150 yards.. targets anywhere from 50-300lbs.. I plan on mounting a thermal or some sort of NV to it (undecided which one right now).. and otherwise keeping it pretty "basic"..

Typically I either take one of my .308 bolt guns or one of my 5.56 AR's out after hogs.. I was thinking 300 BLK or 762x39 would be a nice "in between" option that would be pretty cheap to shoot, east to obtain ammo for, etc.. and would be "fun"...
Old 20 September 2019, 11:51
Confirmed User

Friend of mine built a 300 BLK AR pistol. Not "cheap" to shoot, but it is a blast. :) I intend on still building a 7.62X39, just have not gotten around to it. TFG gave some really good recommendations, and I am following them.

thanks.
Old 20 September 2019, 12:12
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwest View Post
This would pretty much be a dedicated pig popper.. Shots from 30-150 yards.. targets anywhere from 50-300lbs..
If cost is a factor and you just want a pig popper in that caliber than can mount an optic, before dropping the money on an AR platform you might check around for a synthetic-stocked SKS. It won't be as fancy, but at those distances with those targets it is good enough and some of the synthetic stocks allow for mounting optics.

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 20 September 2019, 16:18
Authorized Personnel

While not an AR, if you want a 7.62x39, I suggest you look hard at the Galil Ace -- AK guts with AR features.

-Stan

"An increasingly lonely man, Patton felt that his was the voice of truth in a wilderness of indifference." -Carlo D'Este

"Two letters and two well placed rounds is the only difference between victim or victor." -Mingo Kane

"Life is forced upon the living without their prior consultation." -Me

"I know it upsets you, but the purpose of the game is to perpetuate the game." -Me
Old 20 September 2019, 16:32
Been There Done That

Buddy had a bushmaster with no issues that I know of.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical and radical minority, rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Old 20 September 2019, 16:53
exquisitus asinus

Im definitely only looking at an AR platform..

I've already got 2x lowers built out.. all I need is an upper (DTT has a complete upper, minus the BCG and charging handle on sale right now for $159)..

Also considering 300BLK, 6.5 Grendel, and 6.8 SPC..

looking for something that is the middle ground between 556 and 308.. that can be slapped on an AR lower without much fuss (realizing that all of those options other than the 300 BLK will require a different bolt and different mags.. but otherwise SHOULD work reliably?)
Old 20 September 2019, 17:04
Authorized Personnel

Quote:

I've already got 2x lowers built out.. all I need is an upper (DTT has a complete upper, minus the BCG and charging handle on sale right now for $159)..

looking for something that is the middle ground between 556 and 308.. that can be slapped on an AR lower without much fuss (realizing that all of those options other than the 300 BLK will require a different bolt and different mags.. but otherwise SHOULD work reliably?)
Roger.

Though I have no experience with it, and I think I remember it going through some growing pains, I thing the CMMG Mutant is running reliably.

-Stan

"An increasingly lonely man, Patton felt that his was the voice of truth in a wilderness of indifference." -Carlo D'Este

"Two letters and two well placed rounds is the only difference between victim or victor." -Mingo Kane

"I know it upsets you, but the purpose of the game is to perpetuate the game." -Me
Old 20 September 2019, 17:46
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley_White View Post
Roger.

Though I have no experience with it, and I think I remember it going through some growing pains, I thing the CMMG Mutant is running reliably.

-Stan
Nevermind... I am a dumbass and misread your message.

-Stan

Old 20 September 2019, 21:04
Hard to Kill

I have an AR I built from a kit that runs like a scalded ape. I paid about $429.00 for the kit and $99 for a Spikes Tactical lower. It came with 2 mags and MagPul furniture. Two things to consider with these hybrids.....

First, is magazines. I use the Ammunition Storage Components (ASC) mags and the NEW C products defense. They have to have the AK mag like curve. The next thing is the bolt face is a vulnerability. I shattered a bolt and the fragments flew through the action and locked the buffer in the tube. I had to beat it apart. I sent it back (The bolt, got a new one and a few thousands rounds later, nary an issue). I bought a few more bolts and BCG's and they all work well.

I also have an AR pistol in x 39 that has never missed a lick in about 2k rounds. It runs and runs. Its built on an Anderson lower and economy lower parts kit.

Colt also make a carbine that is akin to a junior sized M-16 in appearance. They will also be magazine sensitive and probably run around $1k or a bit more.

I say go for it. The availability of ammunition is what did it for me. I love mine and am glad I built them and love to shoot them.

Last edited by The Fat Guy; 21 September 2019 at 19:55.
Old 21 September 2019, 08:30

+1 on the ASC Mags. Most anything else gives me problems. I have a couple of SOTA Arms 7.62x39 uppers on Spikes and DPMS Lowers. Haven't had any problems with the SOTA supplied bolts but I plan to install heavier buffers, H2/H3 to compensate for the caliber.
Old 21 September 2019, 11:00
BTDT

This is entirely ammo budget dependent, but I'd go .300BO over x39. Tons of great, high quality, Super and Sub rounds available if you plan on going suppressed in the future. Training with the cheap .223/5.56 will carry over, so you don't need to burn tons of .300BO - zero and some fam fire, then hunt. JMO.
Old 22 September 2019, 09:25
Freelancer

A x39 AR? Next you'll want a .45 GAP.

Concur with Poly.
Old 22 September 2019, 11:04
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
This is entirely ammo budget dependent, but I'd go .300BO over x39. Tons of great, high quality, Super and Sub rounds available if you plan on going suppressed in the future. Training with the cheap .223/5.56 will carry over, so you don't need to burn tons of .300BO - zero and some fam fire, then hunt. JMO.
This is purely a cost / availability decision. I know you can order all kinds of 300 BO on line, but the x39 ammo is everywhere and despite the left's attempts to keep it out. I would venture to say that there are billions of rounds in the US today.

Here is a link that compares the 2, spoiler alert, not much ballistic difference.

If I need 30 caliber ass in a round, I am definitely going to pull the POF Revolution in .308. Something a bit more, the 300 Win Mag. Anything higher than that needed? K bar and a 1911.
Old 22 September 2019, 11:05
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
A x39 AR? Next you'll want a .45 GAP.

Concur with Poly.
I am going to ban you when I have absolutely nothing else to do.
Old 22 September 2019, 11:06
Hard to Kill

Quote:

There is also the 6.8.
Old 22 September 2019, 11:08
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley_White View Post
While not an AR, if you want a 7.62x39, I suggest you look hard at the Galil Ace -- AK guts with AR features.

-Stan
Very cool rifles, but all of the ones I have seen have been in Africa and look like IDF PDO rejects.
Old 22 September 2019, 11:35
exquisitus asinus

The more I’ve looked into things.. I think I’m back on the original path I was considering (300 BLK)... the X39 still intrigues me after using one in an AR platform a few weeks back.. but ultimately it’s only got a slight ballistic advantage.. and cheaper ammo options...

The trade off is unique bolt and mags.. and less factory load options for hunting (the rifles primary purpose)..

I’m looking for something that will work with a standard AR lower since I’ve already got one built and ready to go.. and I’m familiar/comfortable using an AR platform for pigs (one of my primary pig poppers is an AR in 556 currently)... but I wanted something with a bit more down range performance for those times when the 300lb beast trots his oversized ass out of the wood line, and a 75gr 556 round would be marginal (nothing worse than having to try to trail a pig at 2am through the brush for a couple of hundred yards and see if you can find him piled up somewhere in the dark)...

I’m thinking the 300blk is probably the easiest and most sensible solution to the problem (although I’m still digging the idea of the X39)
Old 22 September 2019, 12:53
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
Very cool rifles, but all of the ones I have seen have been in Africa and look like IDF PDO rejects.
As I understand it the Galil Ace was invented to sell to countries that used USSR-supplied AK47s and now, in 2019, have magazines and other accessories that work fine but rifles that are running on fumes.

I am sure it is a great gun, but I mentally can't do a polymer receiver.

-Stan

Old 22 September 2019, 15:51
Make a desert and call it peace.

The one big advantage of the 300BLK over the x39 is with heavy subsonic loads; the x39 doesn't have the rifling rate to do so. This isn't surprising, that's the entire purpose the 300BLK was designed for.

If I was running supersonic ammo, and particularly a lot of it, investing in the x39 system/infrastructure makes a lot of sense.

Bolt wear is a problem on the entire AR series, you should keep at least a general count of rds fired and replace bolts on a routine basis if it's a critical system. Breaking off the lug either side of the extractor is a pretty routine failure. S/F....Ken M
"If you remember nothing else about what I’m about to consider here, remember this: the one and only reason politicians, bureaucrats, and policemen want to take your weapons away from you is so that they can do things to you that they couldn’t do if you still had your weapons."— L. Neil Smith

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.”
- Robert E. Lee
Old 22 September 2019, 16:36
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoFiveMike View Post
The one big advantage of the 300BLK over the x39 is with heavy subsonic loads; the x39 doesn't have the rifling rate to do so. This isn't surprising, that's the entire purpose the 300BLK was designed for.

If I was running supersonic ammo, and particularly a lot of it, investing in the x39 system/infrastructure makes a lot of sense.

Bolt wear is a problem on the entire AR series, you should keep at least a general count of rds fired and replace bolts on a routine basis if it's a critical system. Breaking off the lug either side of the extractor is a pretty routine failure. S/F....Ken M

Thats exactly what happened to mine.

Our new posting rules