SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 9 August 2019, 20:46
Confirmed User

I'm putting this here rather than start another thread. So those who use the ring app are apparently giving a boost to facial recognition and local PD without maybe even knowing.

https://gizmodo.com/this-map-shows-i...rin-1837079976

https://www.cleveland19.com/2019/02/...ting-business/
Old 9 August 2019, 22:11
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVmedic View Post
I'm putting this here rather than start another thread. So those who use the ring app are apparently giving a boost to facial recognition and local PD without maybe even knowing.

https://gizmodo.com/this-map-shows-i...rin-1837079976

https://www.cleveland19.com/2019/02/...ting-business/
Well if you give access be prepared for them to use it to include against you if they see something that interest them. Also how long will they save it?
Old 10 August 2019, 06:32
BTDT

This is why I always recommend 'plain old IP cams' that you connect to your own server. "All you need is our phone app" is a major warning sign. Hard to beat FOSCAM and Blue Iris.
Old 11 August 2019, 14:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
This is why I always recommend 'plain old IP cams' that you connect to your own server. "All you need is our phone app" is a major warning sign. Hard to beat FOSCAM and Blue Iris.
Is Foscam out of business? I went to their website and it wanted me to go to Amcrest.

The wife has been pushing me to set up some cameras but I don't want the video leaving my possession. Is the only way to run my own server? What kind of cash outlay roughly to setup 3-5 cameras and the server?
Old 11 August 2019, 17:10
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowzers View Post
Is Foscam out of business? I went to their website and it wanted me to go to Amcrest.

The wife has been pushing me to set up some cameras but I don't want the video leaving my possession. Is the only way to run my own server? What kind of cash outlay roughly to setup 3-5 cameras and the server?
Ha! No idea, I just grab them off of Amazon - never needed support. Amcrest looks similar, wonder if they bought them, or owned them, or something?

Yes - your own server is what keeps the stuff private. Any Windows computer can run Blue Iris - have a powerful one already (Core i5 or better)? Cost is tough to say - pick all your computer parts and find the cameras you like, and you'll know an estimate. Look at Amcrest cams on Amazon (or remaining FOSCAMs).
Old 26 September 2019, 09:14
Hard to Kill

So I am looking at installing cameras as solitude appears to no longer be as effective as it once was. I have been looking at the Arlo Ultra's which is pushing a cloud based storage "subscription" and the Eufy Cams. At half the price, the Eufy cams appear to have slightly better specs at half the cost. I also read where Arlo is unnecessarily expensive. My main concern is an alert of someone coming up the driveway. I want to know before they get to the house and exit the vehicle. I will also put some inside as well. All wireless, up to 300 feet. I can put most of them in a place with power. Anyone use the Eufy cam system? My biggest compliant with the Arlo Ultras is you cannot retrieve the video from the from the base. They also eliminated the USB connection that most used for a multi TB storage device. Seems like a greedy reduction in features to me. Anyway EufyCam, any thoughts?
Old 26 September 2019, 13:46
Custom User Title

I would definitely recommend a PIR driveway alarm for that purpose over a camera. Id comsider the camera a supplement.
Old 26 September 2019, 14:21
Red Headed Stepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
So I am looking at installing cameras as solitude appears to no longer be as effective as it once was. I have been looking at the Arlo Ultra's which is pushing a cloud based storage "subscription" and the Eufy Cams. At half the price, the Eufy cams appear to have slightly better specs at half the cost. I also read where Arlo is unnecessarily expensive. My main concern is an alert of someone coming up the driveway. I want to know before they get to the house and exit the vehicle. I will also put some inside as well. All wireless, up to 300 feet. I can put most of them in a place with power. Anyone use the Eufy cam system? My biggest compliant with the Arlo Ultras is you cannot retrieve the video from the from the base. They also eliminated the USB connection that most used for a multi TB storage device. Seems like a greedy reduction in features to me. Anyway EufyCam, any thoughts?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HFZUKGM...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

We have an undisclosed number of these at our place. Been very satisfied with them. Only drawback is they're battery operated but the batteries last forever.
Old 26 September 2019, 15:08
Been There Done That

I run a handful of those driveway alarms, and they work really well. I do have the cameras to supplement the alarms, and for that, I prefer the wireless cams. I do have to swap cameras and charge batteries, but the wireless option allows me to place them more strategically around the property.
Old 26 September 2019, 15:45
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino0311 View Post
I would definitely recommend a PIR driveway alarm for that purpose over a camera. I'd consider the camera a supplement.
Plus one. There can be some significant delays between someone setting off the motion detector in a camera and the system alerting you. We have Blink and it can be instantaneous and it can take 30-60 seconds. No apparent rhyme or reason why, just latency in the system. The PIR systems are usually very simple and quicker to provide an alert.
Old 26 September 2019, 16:53
Custom User Title

What driveway alarms are you guys using?
Old 26 September 2019, 17:27
Been There Done That

I run the older Chamberlain version. I haven't had any issues or reasons to upgrade, but I think I would use the one hawkdrver linked above if I did. Mine only allows a few sensors per base station, while the newer ones will do 30+ sensors. More sensors are good if you have more area to cover, versus just wanting one sensor for a simple driveway.

Also, as mentioned above, these are almost instantaneous instead of unpredictable camera latency issues that randomly delay notifications. The sensors work without wifi or cell service being required, so it's a nice layered approach.
Old 26 September 2019, 18:48
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Ha! No idea, I just grab them off of Amazon - never needed support. Amcrest looks similar, wonder if they bought them, or owned them, or something?

Yes - your own server is what keeps the stuff private. Any Windows computer can run Blue Iris - have a powerful one already (Core i5 or better)? Cost is tough to say - pick all your computer parts and find the cameras you like, and you'll know an estimate. Look at Amcrest cams on Amazon (or remaining FOSCAMs).
Poly, have you tried BI's app yet? That looks pretty good and would add to the BI experience pretty darned well. Having an app alert you is king IMO. That was kinda my only complaint on the BI I ran before at the lake. I had to be sitting in the house to hear anything.

TFG, if the Blue Iris app thing is golden, I don't think you could do better. It was a one time purchase for BI and then this app and a few cams, etc. no residual BS.
The BI guy at least had decent CS when I needed him a few years ago.
Easy.
Old 27 September 2019, 06:43
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by litepath View Post
Poly, have you tried BI's app yet? That looks pretty good and would add to the BI experience pretty darned well. Having an app alert you is king IMO. That was kinda my only complaint on the BI I ran before at the lake. I had to be sitting in the house to hear anything.

TFG, if the Blue Iris app thing is golden, I don't think you could do better. It was a one time purchase for BI and then this app and a few cams, etc. no residual BS.
The BI guy at least had decent CS when I needed him a few years ago.
Easy.
Been using it since it released. I never actually use the Alert option though - I have BI send and email to a "security camera" account, with a jpeg capture so I can see a squirrels ass on the camera, before I open the BI app and look live That account has the notification sound of a human voice saying "security camera" - so I know to immediately look at it.
Old 27 September 2019, 13:44
Hard to Kill

I am now looking at the Arlo Go, which have LTE chips in them. My Internet access is choppy and has a lot of delay (Satellite)
Old 27 September 2019, 13:49
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Been using it since it released. I never actually use the Alert option though - I have BI send and email to a "security camera" account, with a jpeg capture so I can see a squirrels ass on the camera, before I open the BI app and look live That account has the notification sound of a human voice saying "security camera" - so I know to immediately look at it.
Do you run it on a separate machine?
Old 28 September 2019, 15:33
BTDT

Quote:
Do you run it on a separate machine?
Yes, probably not what you're looking for - more involved, but way powerful. Your spotty internet access is a problem too. You're probably on the right track looking at a 3G/LTE solution.
Old 28 September 2019, 17:43
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Yes, probably not what you're looking for - more involved, but way powerful. Your spotty internet access is a problem too. You're probably on the right track looking at a 3G/LTE solution.
By design, if I am able to retrieve an IP address, I can hang these off of a Blue Iris Server, n'est pas?
Old 29 September 2019, 05:28
BTDT

Quote:
By design, if I am able to retrieve an IP address, I can hang these off of a Blue Iris Server, n'est pas?
Blue Iris can support any camera that is either directly connected (USB Web Cams) or has a reachable IP address. The problem with a lot of these "App/Service Based" cams - is its not always easy to find out the IP address (check your router table), and even if you can, if they don't have a page set up to view the stream - it won't work. Case by case basis - probably have to Google "xxx camera ip stream address" or something.

Edit:Just did a quick search and found this... just as I suspected:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-P...1276998#M12570
Old 29 September 2019, 11:07
Hard to Kill

Quote:
Blue Iris can support any camera that is either directly connected (USB Web Cams) or has a reachable IP address. The problem with a lot of these "App/Service Based" cams - is its not always easy to find out the IP address (check your router table), and even if you can, if they don't have a page set up to view the stream - it won't work. Case by case basis - probably have to Google "xxx camera ip stream address" or something.

Edit:Just did a quick search and found this... just as I suspected:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-P...1276998#M12570
And since I plan to use the Arlo Go, it will not have any direct connection to the wireless network. My only hope would be that the App uses an IP connection to view the stream. Whether or not I can find that IP address through the Ap, and if it is static or DHCP will also be a factor. For $59, and a basement full of WIN based towers, there is room to experiment rather inexpensively.

Our new posting rules