SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Navy SEALs

Closed Thread

Old 6 December 1999, 04:30
Lavbo
Visitor

Jessie Ventura not a Vietnam Seal?

I found a site that has Jessie Ventura as a phony seal. http://www.myfreeoffice.com/udtseal//index.html#2

I was at coronodo when Jessie Ventura spoke to bunch of Seals and it appered he was warmly welcomed. I could of sworn the Seal running the show said he served with him in Vietnam.
Old 6 December 1999, 05:35
ditch digger

I know the guy whose site your referring to. He has links to other sites that expose phonies as well as SEAL sites in general. Jesse spoke at my class graduation (158) as it was his centennial class (he was 58), his service in Vietnam is bona fide.
Old 6 December 1999, 12:50
SSD
Visitor

All I saw was "One well-known graduate (of BUD/S) is Minnesota's new governor, Jesse "The Body" Ventura." Couldn't find the part that said he was a phonie.
Old 6 December 1999, 21:10
Administrator

Knew Jesse when he was James Janos - He's for real.
Old 6 December 1999, 23:25
Confirmed

Frog,
Ever know an Al Manso (early 70's, went to BUDS with Jesse) or a Mike Rush? Lost contact with them. Probably out or retired by now.
Old 7 December 1999, 00:41
Been There Done That

Mike Rush is retired and doing contract work for the FBI. He's living in Warrenton, VA, now. Try stoli@citizen.infi.net
Old 7 December 1999, 16:19
Mike
Visitor

Why does Jesse Ventura said he was a Vietnam veteran? He was UDT and not a SEAL. If he served after 1983 when the UDT and SEAL merged, then he could have say, "I was a SEAL". He was with UDT 12 in Philippines and South Korea, but not in-country in Vietnam. Ventura served two tours - a total of 17 months - abroad, operating primarily with a Seal Delivery Vehicle team out of Subic Bay, but also in Korea.
source: Navy Times, 11/16/1998, page 2 (bottom).
Old 8 December 1999, 00:47
GODLIKE CREATURE AMONG MEN

Frog and others, my opinion for what it is worth (which is exactly the amount you paid for it)is that the guy making the claim of UDT & SEAL distinction during the time of Jessie's service, while technically correct, is engaging in semantics to get attention. This is a frequent by-product when you encounter those who think a little more of themselves than they should (not a rampant problem by any means but one, as you well know, can from time to time afflicts some of our NSW shipmates). Good Day to you all.

Former SBU Operator (not to be confused with the highly decorated CosRivRon/BSU members of Vietnam, because their unit designations did not have the word "Special" in it).

Old 13 December 1999, 23:20
APOCALYPSE
Visitor

Angry

Excuse you MIKE,
James Janos"Jesse Ventura" WAS an active duty SEAL in Vietnam for two full tours. He is as real a deal as it gets and questioning his credibility is sheer STUPIDITY.
Old 13 December 1999, 23:20
APOCALYPSE
Visitor

Angry

Excuse you MIKE,
James Janos"Jesse Ventura" WAS an active duty as in "COMBAT" SEAL in Vietnam for two full tours. He is as real a deal as it gets and questioning his credibility is sheer STUPIDITY.
Old 22 December 1999, 10:38
Mike
Visitor

Excuse you APOCALYPSE, Ventura was not with ST1 or ST2. He was with UDT 12 in Korea and the Phillippines. When UDT merged with the SEALs, any active-duty UDT during that time were all SEALs, not the UDT before 1982.
So if someone tell you he was a SEAL and you're not challenging him to prove is sheer stupidity???

to 9533, I am not trying to get attention. There is an article about a former SEAL making a big brouhaha about Ventura's claim to declare himself as a SEAL. I will look for that article.
Old 22 December 1999, 12:12
SSD
Visitor

http://www.netramp.net/WallOfShame/jesse.htm

The "Official" Word on Jesse Ventura

A source at the Naval Special Warfare Command states:
Our take is that Jesse Ventura is a SEAL. He even did his reserve time in SEAL Team ONE. He earned and wears the trident....Captain Larry Bailey is probably the best guy to talk to about this, but OFFICIALLY, we think its splitting hairs by Salisbury and the Navy considers Jesse Ventura as a former SEAL.. Hope that helps.

Captain Larry Bailey states:
JESSE VENTURA SEAL OR NOT?

Jesse Ventura went through UDT/SEAL Class 58 in 1970 and was assigned to UDT-12, where he spent three years (including three deployments fo Subic Bay, Philippines). As a UDT frogman, he operated in Viet Nam waters and earned the US Viet Nam Service Ribbon. He undoubtedly, like so may UDT men of that era, went ashore in Viet Nam for short periods of time. After he was released from active duty in 1973, he joined Reserve SEAL Team ONE. The point here is that all graduates of BUD/S are referred to within the Naval Special Warfare community as SEALs. They received the same training, whether they went to SEAL Teams or Underwater Demolition Teams. The case made by Commander Salisbury on Fox News Channel recently is without merit; Jesse Ventura is a SEAL by any definition.
Larry Bailey, Captain, USN (Ret.)

R.D. and Pam Russell, Co-Directors of Navel Special Warfare Archives state:
The official view point of the Archives is that Jesse was a SEAL. He completed BUD/S and the SEAL course in the desert. The west coast used UDT as a man power pool so they could pull people at any time without there being a training delay.

There you have it, three "official" statements, draw your own conclusions...

Old 30 December 1999, 13:25
Gong
Visitor

From a Minnesotan who sees this clown (nothing personal just dont like his politics)on TV every day,hes was UDT.
Recently he was asked about this by the local media. I am paraphasing, he said, that this is "much ado about nothing". He knows the difference but most likely doesnt feel the general public does. He loves the limelight and the word "SEAL" is instantly recognized.So as a Frog he makes the leap from UDT to Seal. As far as I am concerned as an informed individual, I dont really care. I know what he means.

peace.
Old 25 July 2013, 01:22
Confirmed User

Hello Gents,

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to put this out since the question keeps popping up in light of this issue with him suing Navy SEAL Chris Kyle's widow.

This statement come out December '99 and I wanted to know what you all think of this:

Quote:
Governor Ventura's office confirmed that Ventura was never a member of the elite Navy SEALs, but he says he did train to be a SEAL, and that his membership in the Navy's Underwater Demolition Teams was practically the same as being a SEAL. But a former SEAL and journalist in San Diego says the UDT's were not the same as SEALs during Vietnam, and he says Ventura is taking credit for the valor of others.
Read more here...
Old 25 July 2013, 11:26
Confirmed User

Don Shipley addressed this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeO1DUtnKsE
Old 30 July 2013, 16:48
On the Extract Bird

His picture is on the quater deck within his class, I personally saw it myself
Old 30 July 2013, 17:50
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginzsu View Post
His picture is on the quater deck within his class, I personally saw it myself
Is that "Jessie speak"?
Old 30 July 2013, 18:29
Administrator

In the SEAL Community, he is considered a real Navy SEAL.

Discussion closed.
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules