SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 16 March 2010, 18:20
Been There Done That

Walt Smith, Apparently Fake ARNG BG

BG Walt Smith's Linked In http://www.linkedin.com/pub/walt-smith/6/936/828

Military Officer's Association - Retired General Officer (Active duty in USMC and reserves for total of 34 years)

Walt Smith’s Honors:

Purple Heart Medal - Wounded while in Vietnam
Dual rated military pilot in fixed-wing and helicopters
6,000 hours total flight time

Side note: No one by the name of Walt Smith is listed for Washington Consulting Group. There is nothing else easily available about a BG Walt or Walter Smith online except for one present at the Battle of Bladensburg in 1812 and Eisenhower's Chief of Staff in North Africa who died in 1961.

Other than those two comments, I will tread very lightly here.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.

Last edited by HighDragLowSpeed; 16 March 2010 at 18:44.
Old 17 March 2010, 14:06
Confirmed User

Dune DiCarnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighDragLowSpeed View Post
I dont know but he claims earlier in the thread that BG Smith is his father-in-law. Of course, he claimed his father to be SEAL/UDT so take any claims for what they are worth.
Looking back at Adam & Michelle's wedding announcement, A Mr. Harold Brown of Anchorage is his new Father-In-Law.. General (ret.) Walt Smith may be another of his imaginary relatives, like his imaginary father was a Navy SEAL..

Wasn't Dune DiCarnage one of Adam's alter-ego's that was outted, and banned by Face Book..? .. ... ..
Old 17 March 2010, 15:14
Been There Done That

Is there such an animal as a GS-18? I thought after GS-15 they became SES (Special Executive Service)
Old 17 March 2010, 15:23
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR.Montcalm View Post
Is there such an animal as a GS-18? I thought after GS-15 they became SES (Special Executive Service)
GS-16/17/18 were abolished by the Civil Service Reform Act of 1978 and replaced by the Senior Executive Service (SES) grades.

If, as Mr. Appel notes that BrigGen Smith was indeed a GS-18, BrigGen Smith would have likely been somewhere around 28 years old in 1978 when that particular civil service grade went away. Per his own linked in entry, BrigGen Smith also started at the FAA in 1977 and he still had two years more after GS-18 went away before even beginning his Bachelor's degree program at American Cornerstone University in 1980.

Last edited by HighDragLowSpeed; 17 March 2010 at 15:38.
Old 17 March 2010, 16:55
Been There Done That

WTF is a GS-18??? whoa.......

This is telling: @nowhoisspam.com

'now who is spam'..........huh???

Gee, that's a professional looking site.....

What a bozo.......

eta.....I should've checked the next page's chuckles....

We need a new thread started on Mr Don Atkins, listed in Appels wannabe heroes list

http://www.josebosque.com/index.php?...-to-don-atkin-

He's USAF, not that there's anything wrong with that, but this guys stinks too...

Befriend Dune here:

Mypace.com/DuneDiCarnage

What a nutjob.

~D-6606~

Last edited by RB; 17 March 2010 at 17:12.
Old 17 March 2010, 19:56
Been There Done That

OK..the plot sickens...

Birds of a feather flock together. At least one of Adam Appel's business partners is as deceptive as Mr. Appel regarding his military history. One of the "founders" in the Maritime Response business run by Mr. Appel, Walt S. Smith, claims to be a retired Brigadier General. Here are Mr. Smith's details from his own Linked In page(s)

Attachment 11284

Attachment 11285

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/walt-smith/12/AB5/AA

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/walt-smith/6/936/828

Mr. Smith has apparently signed correspondence as a BrigGen (see this page: http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...&hl=en&ct=clnk) and Mr. Appel consistently describes Mr. Smith as a Brigadier General. The Founders page for Maritime Tactical Response indicates that walt Smith is a retired General Officer.

What's Wrong Here?

There isn't any evidence that Walt S. Adams retired as a Brigadier General in the California Air National Guard or California Army National Guard in 2004 as claimed in his linkedin profile or any reasonable number of years around 2004. As far as is known, there aren't even any modern-era general officers from the CA Guard with the surname, "Smith" or Guard General officers from other states named Walt or Walter Smith.

Additionally, there is no evidence to indicate that Walt or Walter Smith might have been "promoted" to BrigGen on an honorary basis upon his retirement as a CA Guard Colonel or that he even retired as a field grade officer from either branch of the CA National Guard.

The various sources for this information can only be described as authoritative.

Other Inconsistencies

I've already pointed out that Mr. Smith would have had to be selected for promotion to GS-18 by his 28th birthday, within the first year of his employment at the FAA, and without even having started a Bachelor's degree program. That said, it was Mr. Appel that has made that particular claim and not Mr. Smith as far as I know to this point.

As previously pointed out, Mr. Smith does not appear in the online directory for Washington Consulting Group.

Lastly, there never has been a business license issued in Alaska or California for "Maritime Tactical Response", "MRT" (yes...his spelling), Maritime Response", or other closely matched business name. There are no maritime security oriented results for business licenses when searching by name for any of the founders of this "business".

Last edited by HighDragLowSpeed; 18 September 2010 at 04:30.
Old 17 March 2010, 20:13
Been There Done That

LMMFAO. It's like watching a train wreck in slow motion...
Old 17 March 2010, 20:23
Who's da clown behind me?

Quote:
As previously pointed out, Mr. Smith does not appear in the online directory for Washington Consulting Group.
There is a "Barbara Smith" who is listed as the Vice President - Aviation Group. I know it is a common last name but maybe she is related somehow?

He listed himself as the Director of Aviation Services and she is VP of the Aviation Group. Both in Aviation? Both with the last name of Smith? Coincidence?
Old 17 March 2010, 20:27
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richman View Post
There is a "Barbara Smith" who is listed as the Vice President - Aviation Group. I know it is a common last name but maybe she is related somehow?

He listed himself as the Director of Aviation Services and she is VP of the Aviation Group. Both in Aviation? Both with the last name of Smith? Coincidence?
#2 at this link is the same Walt S. Smith. You see how he overlaps with Adam Appel in Santa Rosa, CA. I don't see a Barbara in the list of close family. I won't post his wife's name here for obvious reasons.

Old 17 March 2010, 20:34
Who's da clown behind me?

HDLS - Thanks for clearing that up for me. My curiosity was killing me...
Old 17 March 2010, 20:35

There is a Walt Smith that was the San Francisco tower (SFO) FAA District Manager. See here and here. The latter document also refers to him as "retired Marine General and SFO Tower and District Manager,
Walt Smith.". Unfortuneately, neither the USMC Manpower and Reserve Affairs website, nor the USMC History Division website have any documentation of any General Officer named Walt Smith.

Also found another Linked-in page where Walt Smith claims USMC and CA-NG. Unfortuneately, no documentation can be found on the National Guard Bureau General Officer Management Office's website for any Walt Smith.

This Linked-In profile and this Linked-In profile for Walt Smith have some discrepancies between the two as far as dates also.
Old 17 March 2010, 21:15
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac130usnsr View Post
There is a Walt Smith that was the San Francisco tower (SFO) FAA District Manager. See here and here. The latter document also refers to him as "retired Marine General and SFO Tower and District Manager,
Walt Smith.". Unfortuneately, neither the USMC Manpower and Reserve Affairs website, nor the USMC History Division website have any documentation of any General Officer named Walt Smith.

Also found another Linked-in page where Walt Smith claims USMC and CA-NG. Unfortuneately, no documentation can be found on the National Guard Bureau General Officer Management Office's website for any Walt Smith.

This Linked-In profile and this Linked-In profile for Walt Smith have some discrepancies between the two as far as dates also.
Agreed about the oddity here. Unfortunately, it fits into the overall Adam Appel narrative.

How many General Officers in the service through 2004 from either the USMC or CA NG don't have a single bio, promotion order, change of command, photo op, etc. online? the fact is that I can find official sources about a Gen Walt Smith from 1812 and 1942, but not 2004.

The USMC side seems like an easier find especially since promotion orders in the USMC and USMCR are often posted online. It's how I keep up with the careers of many old friends. Sheesh, his son's promotion list is online.

I'd welcome Mr. Smith to clear up the questions here.

Last edited by HighDragLowSpeed; 17 March 2010 at 21:25.
Old 17 March 2010, 21:35
Confirmed User

HDLS - What about that Don Adkins guy that was listed as one of the founders of Maritime Tactical Response you quoted on page 13? Real deal, or a figment of Mr. Appel's imagination?

Back to my lane.
Old 17 March 2010, 22:13
Confirmed User

National Purple Heart Hall of Honor

Looking in the database of the National Purple Heart Hall of Honor these are the only Smiths that are enrolled.. ... ..

And there ain't no Walter S. or Walt S.. .. ... ..
Old 18 March 2010, 04:18

I don't doubt that the man is an imposter, but the National Purple Heart Hall of Honor is a voluntary enrollment website-its not an official database. They are in the process of collecting recipient information, but at this moment the roll is incomplete.
Old 18 March 2010, 04:33
Been There Done That

Just as with Mr. Appel, the NPRC can confirm Mr. Smith's rank, years of service, and awards within a short time.

Hopefully, that request will be made by whoever does such things.

BTW here is what the May 2007 edition of the MOAA Redwood Empire Chapter newsletter states

Quote:
A BIG WELCOME to NEW MEMBERS of the
REDWOOD EMPIRE CHAPTER
BrigGen WALT S. SMITH, CANG – Spouse [redacted]
http://www.redwoodempiremoaa.us/pdfs/movoice0705.pdf

His application to MOAA would have clearly had to have been made as a CA ANG retired BrigGen and not as a Marine.

Last edited by HighDragLowSpeed; 18 March 2010 at 04:55.
Old 18 March 2010, 10:48
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-FLAME-2 View Post
I don't doubt that the man is an imposter, but the National Purple Heart Hall of Honor is a voluntary enrollment website-its not an official database. They are in the process of collecting recipient information, but at this moment the roll is incomplete.
That's why I said "these are the only Smiths that are enrolled".. ... ..
Old 22 March 2010, 01:07
Whatever Sucks the Most

Walt Smith, Fake ANG BG, Claims a PH

Inserting a link to the Appel thread.

Posts in this thread were split off from there.

Last edited by magician; 22 March 2010 at 01:21.
Old 22 March 2010, 07:19
Been There Done That

Quote:
Agreed about the oddity here. Unfortunately, it fits into the overall Adam Appel narrative.

How many General Officers in the service through 2004 from either the USMC or CA NG don't have a single bio, promotion order, change of command, photo op, etc. online? the fact is that I can find official sources about a Gen Walt Smith from 1812 and 1942, but not 2004.

The USMC side seems like an easier find especially since promotion orders in the USMC and USMCR are often posted online. It's how I keep up with the careers of many old friends. Sheesh, his son's promotion list is online.

I'd welcome Mr. Smith to clear up the questions here.
While a friend was looking back through the thread, they reminded me of this already posted way back in page 5 of this thread.

Quote:
My ex father-in-law who I am still friends with retired as a GS18 in the FAA (Emergency cord. for the Pac-Rim) and a 2 star general in the Army
So, the information that we have at this point is that Mr. Walt S. Smith of Eagle, Idaho is a 2 star General in the Army, a one star General in the CA Air National Guard, and/or a one star General in the Marine Reserves. Remember that there is also a claim of the Purple Heart.

This is why it is so important to just post screen captures and links to every claim made by a poser. Sometimes they simply doesn't make sense until later on.

Old 22 March 2010, 16:45
Confirmed User

Out of my lane but,

http://www.redwoodempiremoaa.us/pdfs/movoice0706.pdf

Directors-at-large - Term 2007-2008
BrigGen Walter S. Smith, CANG 575-8966

What does a Directer-at-large do anyway?

Back to my lane.

Our new posting rules