SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 15 September 2013, 19:52
Authorized Personnel

Lefty, I got there a year before you and I never heard of a bullet club either. I do know that the only things extra the grunts that had to hump the bush every day would carry was water and ammo. A 150mm (more likely a 155) is not something that anyone would want to put in their ruck.

We did get a dentist to affix a loop on some 5.56 bullets, see picture. Bullet is sitting on the only coin I have (again, too secret to show coin.)

DSCN0251.JPG
Old 16 September 2013, 09:02
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
Lefty, I got there a year before you and I never heard of a bullet club either. I do know that the only things extra the grunts that had to hump the bush every day would carry was water and ammo. A 150mm (more likely a 155) is not something that anyone would want to put in their ruck.

Attachment 25316
The priorities for my ruck were food, water, and ammo, not necessarily in that order. C-rats were too heavy, the old LRRP rations were too hard to come by, and I ate mostly what my counterparts ate - rotten fish and rice. Life was good.

"For the mission, then. As long as he functions, I will humor him."
"If you don't humor him, you may find out how well he functions."
Old 16 September 2013, 09:14
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
Well, I cannot say anything about the history and rules in that narrative, but in my entire short military career and in all the discussions in my team house and every other VN venue I have encountered, this is the very first time in forty plus years I ever heard of something called a 'bullet club' where you carried a round to be presented at a hootch bar. Perhaps the practice was banned and discontinued by the time of my arrival in '70, but I do not recall anyone ever talking about it.
Saw a few guys wearing bullets or cartridges on necklaces, but never heard of the bullet club challenge. Could be I missed it somehow.
Any other VN era vet remember this?
I was in country Jan 68-Jan 69. I wasn't in the field, so it's no surprise that I never heard of a bullet club. I was aware, though, that there were other things that the troops didn't talk about, so if the clubs disappeared, it wouldn't surprise me if nobody talked about it. Long Binh was dirt pretty much everywhere right to the wire. When I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, I looked up Long Binh and it was a hot spot for Agents Orange, White and several others. I never heard anyone at Long Binh say a single word about defoliants, but you couldn't look around anywhere without it being in your mind. So we'd have to find a participant in the bullet club to confirm its existence. A 155? Really?
Old 16 September 2013, 09:29
Morte et une dame

Vaguely.... VERY vaguely, I recall someone wearing a rifle cartridge around his neck. Can't say who or why. I do not recall challenge coins or a 'bullet club'. Some guys were inclined to carry something of luck.
I do have a challenge coin, but it was sent to me my Airborne Association just a couple of years ago.
The Zippo was the 'big one'. (Yup... still have mine, although my first was stolen by a little street urchin).
Old 16 September 2013, 12:20
Confirmed User

I have 5 total, but don't count one because it was given to me by a friend as a gift. I wish I could put a picture of the challenge coins I have, but don't think I should just. I don't want to bore anyone.

I will admit that there are a lot of impressive challenge coins in this thread.
Old 16 September 2013, 15:54
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
But just to help Machanu get over his facepalm, here's my second coin from OIF. Maybe the appearance of a familiar device in it will help buffer the shock he's experiencing when his eyes roll so far back
B 2/75, I have that same coin. It's a little different, there is colored laquer on it, but its the same coin. It was given to me by one of the 10th Group guys I supported back in 04. One of the NCO's from 5th gave me a Benchmade that I carry to this day, and honestly those two things mean more to me than any of the attaboys that my own unit gave me.
Old 16 September 2013, 16:26
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchanu View Post
Yes, Match and I, and most all Team Guys are in agreement that the Arrr-Meee Coin thing has caused the the Teams much nausea. I still have to carry a coin every where I go because of this silly tradition. You want me to buy a beer? just ask. Don't act like a dick and throw yours down in some civilian establishment, blow all cover and stop the jukebox. I like the organizational motivation and I collect them as a hobby, but to carry one in your mouth while taking a shower is just stupid.
Old 16 September 2013, 18:36
Been There Done That

Butt cheeks, Frog. Butt cheeks.

Our new posting rules