SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network > Legacy > Members Who Gave All

Old 17 May 2016, 11:49
Been There Done That

RIP Andy.

William Tecumseh Sherman-
I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast.
Old 17 May 2016, 12:01
NKDA

RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip-COzs42LQ
Old 17 May 2016, 12:09
Right-handed bear.

RIP SOTB, and Semper Fi. Prayers for his family and friends.
Old 17 May 2016, 12:10

I'm stunned at this news. My first thoughts were with his family and friends. I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP, Andy.
Old 17 May 2016, 12:18

I'll miss his comments. Prayers for his family. Rest easy Warrior
Old 17 May 2016, 12:34

I am shocked by this news. Rest in peace and prayers out to his family.
Old 17 May 2016, 13:09
BTDT

RIP, Andy. Semper Fi...
Old 17 May 2016, 13:26
Darwin Award Presenter

I did not have the pleasure to personally know Andy, but I have read many, many, of his posts and enjoyed them all.

I hope this incursion is acceptable.

Prayers inbound to the family.
Old 17 May 2016, 13:45
היה אישם עשה משהו

Rest Well, SOTB.

He and I were certainly on opposite sides of several issues (mostly related to Israel and the ME), but I got early on a glimpse of his class and maturity. Like anyone with class, he did it in private.

I hadn't been a guest here for very long before I could see I didn't much like this gruff, blunt guy who didn't give a damn for any of us Middle Easterners, including Israelis. And of course, I didn't understand him at all. Well, like an ass, I dissed him with a comment on a thread here. The thread, as I recall, had to do with someone's loss or trouble. Rather than squash me in plain sight, he sent me a PM. Paraphrased, he said to me "nobody will really care if you stay here long or not, and I'm sure you won't care much either. But that really lacked class to go at me in that time and place, when the topic is someone else's misfortune. Get some SA." He didn't care that I had dissed him. He did care that I had chosen to do so when and where is was disrespectful to someone else's misfortune here on the forum. So he reminded me to get some class, or move on. Right on target, done just between us. To me, that was an overriding characterization of how I saw the man on here, never having had the opportunity to meet him. Thanks for the reminder, SOTB. If I may use your real name - Rest Well, Andy. This crew has lost a defining institution and character.
Old 17 May 2016, 13:47

Andy was a tough son of a bitch.

I remember him writing about his original diagnosis on this forum a few years ago. The doctor told him that he hadn't long to live. What I believe he said to the doctor, if i recall correctly, was "If I die, I die. I don't care. But if I live, which I'm sure I'm going to, I'm going to punch you in the face for telling me I'm going to die." I believed he wrote about the experience years after it happened so he had quite a run.

He had a IDGAF attitude that I can only dream of aspiring to.

Luckily, for us here, he had something to say about just about every topic. So his personality, his insights and his humor will live on in this place for as long as the websites stays up.

I look forward to helping out whatever is set up here for his wife and daughter.

RIP SOTB, Pinky Tester Extraordinaire.

People who say "left" and "right" are no longer meaningful terms are all people who until very recently were on the left, and who are now trying to disentangle their self-identity from leftist propaganda that paints the left as virtuous and noble and the right as stupid hicks

-ZHPL
Old 17 May 2016, 14:09

Wow. What a profound loss.
I’ve been reading Andy’s posts for a number of years. He’s a man who earned respect by his quality and the clarity of his thinking.
It’s a big loss for our world.

RIP Andy, you will be missed.
Old 17 May 2016, 15:24

I've been reading SOCNET since 2008 or so, and SOTB's posts were one of the major reasons I kept coming back. It feels surreal that he's gone. A huge loss to everyone who knew him.

From everything he and others have said, he lived his life to the fullest. That's more than most others can say.
Old 17 May 2016, 15:40
On the Extract Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdawg24 View Post
Damn dust in here right now.
Shocked and saddened.
Just read all the previous posts celebrating his life and am now sitting in my office with tears streaming down my face. Some may find that strange to shed tears for a man I have never met in person, and simply knew on an internet site. But, I always felt he was a good man. Sometimes we agreed sometimes we disagreed, but through it all, he was professional and a class act. The world and this site are a bleaker place today.

RIP Warrior
Bill - you were not crying alone. Yeah, that might make us a little lame, but IDGAF.
Old 17 May 2016, 15:45
Life is simple, not easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubar View Post
Bill - you were not crying alone. Yeah, that might make us a little lame, but IDGAF.
I was headed home Sunday morning at 11:00 am when I read SB's post, and I can admit I cried. For his daughter as well as the thought that he was gone. Never PM'd him, never had one bit of contact with SOTB. I guess that is the effect SOTB had on many people here. 13 years of reading this guy had a lasting effect on me.

Chaplain: "God moves in mysterious ways...", but ... well.... uhh... welcome aboard!
Old 17 May 2016, 15:52
Been There Done That

RIP
Old 17 May 2016, 16:07
Nec Aspera Terrent

I cried a few hours after reading the news yesterday absolutely.

Never met him in person, only talked to him electronically via PM's and posts... but after a little over a decade of reading, learning and even if I didn't agree with some opinions on a near daily basis...he did a damn good job writing out his thoughts, facts and opinions.

A wise and admirable man for sure who lived life on his terms and helped, taught and motivated so many. How can you not feel at least some sadness for someone like him leaving this world?

IDGAF - agreed. So I cried.

... I also ran a little faster and further for my run today. Thought he'd be amused up there in the cosmos or wherever he has begun in earnest with setting himself up as The Deity of his own religion.

He'd probably think it was GAY and I was slow, but it's okay. It was a fun run as usual. And I know I run like a retarded and awkward giraffe when fatigue sets in. Hope he was amused by seeing such an oddity flopping about on the paths and sidewalk.

Farewell Andy, I hope wherever you find yourself it's full of HOT lesbo and/or bi fit non-blonde chicks with three ribs showing. Plenty of peanut butter, and Halo CE - Reach with all the maps that you have other warriors and men and women of your calibre to play alongside with.
Old 17 May 2016, 16:18
Pele's Bucket of Fire?...never heard of it

I'm saddened to hear of the loss of SOTB, Andy.

My condolences go out to his family and friends, especially those on this board who knew him the best. While I didn't always agree with his views, I appreciated him for telling it like it is, to include pointing out any flaws in the logic of an argument. And I always looked forward to what he had to say next.

RIP
Old 17 May 2016, 16:30
Threading the Needle

RIP Andy. Wish we would of met.

-Harris
Old 17 May 2016, 16:35
A Texan in exile

RIP Andy.

Andy helped me get someone out of a tricky situation south of the border and his experience and counsel was invaluable. His humor and wit will be missed.
Old 17 May 2016, 17:16

Wow. I've lurked SOCNET since '07. Always looked forward to reading SOTB's posts. Hilarious, full of wisdom & came across as one hell of a solid dude. I'll raise a glass to you SOTB, R.I.P.
Old 17 May 2016, 17:33
Fitness Mod

RIP Brother...
Old 17 May 2016, 18:26
A lost ball in high weeds

Semper Fi and RIP, Brother.
Old 17 May 2016, 18:39
The atomic zit

"If I die, I die. I don't care. But if I live, which I'm sure I'm going to, I'm going to punch you in the face for telling me I'm going to die."...

This quote kicked in my allergies...

That quote right there is fuck cancer in top form!!! And SOTB was always in that form.

v/r

S
Old 17 May 2016, 19:17
Authorized

Well Fuck! RIP Brother. You were one of a kind
Old 17 May 2016, 20:28
Baggage handler

The stories in this thread are a wonderful tribute to him and the effect he had on the lives of people, most of whom he never met in person.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. May he rest in blessed peace.
Old 17 May 2016, 20:48

RIP SOTB
Old 17 May 2016, 21:03

I always looked forward to his posts, no matter the subject.

RIP, Marine.
Old 17 May 2016, 21:16
Fan ar an gcosán

Looking back through some old threads. Andy watched the movie "Odd Thomas" based on my recommendation that it was good. 8654Marine agreed, but SOTB did not....hence, "I submit that the two other posters in this thread have had their accounts stolen or hacked by chicks. We should seriously consider an immediate ban of these two, for their own protection...."

Classic.
Old 17 May 2016, 21:41
All Labs Matter

There could be a whole thread called "funny/clever shit SOTB said"
Old 17 May 2016, 22:15

RIP BROTHER!

Confirmed as a"Cynical, Sarcastic, Bastard" by a co-worker in Mosul Iraq 22 May 2006.

"I'm a Black Jew at a Nazi Klan rally. LET'S GET IT ON!" Ted Nugent 2008

"I'm a fairly dangerous man when I'm scared!"

Our new posting rules